Monday, March 22, 2010

"Cop Out": This is Madness!

I went to go see "Cop Out" with only a little expectation. All I knew was that it was a cop/buddy movie directed by Kevin Smith. And if Smitty had his hands on it, then right on. I enjoy his stuff a lot. But what I didn't realize until AFTER the end credits rolled was that Smith only directed the film; he didn't write it.
Instead of Smith's trademark witty/funny/oh-so-true dialogue, we just got some average comedic banter between the two main characters, who were pretty funny, for the most part. Attached to the movie were two folks I love: Rashida Jones (I would SO do her) and Kevin Smith (ditto); aside from that, the movie was completely mediocre to me. It wasn't bad by any means, but nor was it outstanding or different. It was a by-the-numbers cop comedy with a teeny, TINY bit of Smith's trademark brand of humor mixed in for good measure (including a small appearance by one of his regular actors, Jason Lee).
Other than that, there really wasn't much to it. I think the most I could give "Cop Out" is a 53%. But that's all only relative, of course.
By the way, I don't know who the Mexican lady was in it, but she was adorable!

;)

No comments: